How to Permanently Delete Your Instagram Account (2022)
Of course, there will come a time when you may want to permanently disconnect from your social media accounts. People are deleting their social media accounts more frequently than ever before in order to live a life that is less centered on online culture. Whether you want to live a healthier life or just use your phone less, deleting your social media accounts may help you protect your future employment opportunities.
Although permanently deleting your Instagram account may seem like a big step, it’s simple to do if you’re ready to get rid of your profile and reclaim some of your free time. Let’s examine how to permanently delete your Instagram account.
Save Your Instagram Data before Deleting Your Account
It’s a good idea to back up your Instagram data before acting out of rage or attempting to delete your account permanently. You might have valuable photos, interactions, and friends, but you can’t add it back later. Instagram will delete your account and everything in it, including your photos, likes, comments, and friends, when you decide to delete it. Follow these steps to save your account information:
- Open Instagram and tap the profile icon in the lower right corner.
- Tap the hamburger icon (Menu) in the top right corner, then tap Settings at the bottom.
- Select Security, then tap the Download Data option.
- Enter your email address and tap Request Download.
Instagram will send a complete file of your profile to the email address you provided via email within 48 hours. Your photos, comments, profile details, and anything else you might need access to in the future are all included in the email. Even if you believe you won’t ever need this information again, taking this step will ensure that your information is safe if you ever need to view it. If you don’t do this, your data will be completely lost, and no matter how hard you try, you will never be able to recover it.
How to Permanently Delete Your Instagram Account
You can delete your Instagram account once you’ve stored your Instagram data. Users can choose between two choices. The first option involves completely deleting your Instagram account along with all of its related content. The second is a short-term solution.
Only a browser can permanently delete your Instagram account, although you can do so on both desktop and mobile browsers. Instagram temporarily hides your account for 30 days prior to it disappearing forever. Therefore, if you later change your mind, you can reinstate it. Here’s how to delete your Instagram account for good:
- Go to the unique Delete Your Instagram Account page on your browser (ensure that you’re logged in).
- Select a reason for deletion from the drop-down menu.
- Click or tap the Delete button to confirm your decision.
Temporarily Delete/Disable Your Instagram Account
Instead of deleting your Instagram account, disable it if you only want to take a break from it or don’t want to make a snap decision. You log out and hide your profile when you disable. For the sake of your followers, you might as well have deleted the account. But with this approach, you can always log back in and restore your profile if it has been temporarily disabled. To deactivate your account, take these actions:
- Go to Instagram.com from your browser on any device (you cannot do this from the app).
- Log in if prompted to do so.
- Click or tap on the profile icon in the upper right-hand corner.
- Click or tap Profile, then select Edit Profile.
- Scroll down and tap Temporarily disable my account to the right of the Submit button.
- You get asked why you are doing this. Select an option from the drop-down menu.
- Re-enter your account password.
- Click or tap Temporarily Disable Account.