This article describes how to use Messenger without a Facebook account, including how to set up the Messenger software on your smartphone if your account was previously cancelled.
This guide assumes that Messenger for iOS or Messenger for Android is installed on your mobile device.
What to Know
- Enter the phone number/email address and password for your deactivated Facebook account, then tap Log In on the Messenger app.
- Alternatively, hit Establish New Account > Next > Sign Up to create a new Facebook and Messenger account.
- While continuing to use Messenger, deactivate your Facebook account via Facebook.com or using the Facebook app.
Use Messenger With a Deactivated Facebook Account
Prior to December 2019, a phone number was all that was required to create a Facebook Messenger account. Now, you must have a Facebook account, but it need not be active. You can utilize a previously deactivated Facebook account to create a Messenger account without first reactivating it. Simply log in to Messenger with the credentials of your deactivated account and click or tap Log in.
Use Messenger Without a Facebook Account
It is possible to use Messenger without a Facebook account by creating a Messenger account using your phone number. Here’s how to do it:
- Download the Messenger app from the App Store (for iOS devices) or Google Play Store (for Android devices).
- Open the app and tap “Not on Facebook? Sign Up.”
- Enter your phone number and tap “Continue.”
- Enter the verification code that is sent to your phone via SMS.
- Follow the prompts to create your account. You’ll be asked to enter your name and add a profile picture (optional).
- Once your account is set up, you can start using Messenger to message your friends and family.
Note that if you want to use Messenger to communicate with people who are on Facebook, you’ll need to ask them to add your phone number to their contact list. They’ll be able to message you through Messenger using your phone number.
Can you contact someone on Messenger without being friends?
It is generally not possible to send a message to someone on Messenger unless you are friends with that person. If you try to send a message to someone who is not your friend, the message will not be delivered and you will see a notification that the message was not sent.
There are a few exceptions to this rule. For example, if you are in a group conversation with someone who is not your friend, you will be able to send messages to that person as part of the group conversation. Additionally, if you have the phone number of someone who is not your friend, you may be able to send them a message through the Messenger app using the “Send SMS” feature, provided that they have enabled this feature in their Messenger settings.
If you want to contact someone who is not your friend on Messenger, you may be able to do so by sending a friend request and waiting for it to be accepted. Alternatively, you could try using a different form of communication, such as email or phone, if you have that person’s contact information.
How many Messenger accounts can you have?
You can have multiple Messenger accounts, but you will need to use a different email address or phone number for each account. To create a new Messenger account, you can download the Messenger app on your device and follow the prompts to create a new account. You can then switch between your different accounts by logging out of one account and logging into another.
Keep in mind that each Messenger account is associated with a specific email address or phone number, and you will need to use a different email address or phone number for each account you create. Additionally, it’s important to remember that creating multiple accounts for the same service (such as Messenger) may be a violation of the service’s terms of service, so it’s important to make sure you are using the service in accordance with its terms.