How to Delete a Skype Account
As is typical for online service providers, uninstalling Skype is a difficult task. Given the plethora of accounts you will have linked — payment methods, Microsoft account, etc. — this can be a cumbersome task. However, you should not be concerned. We’ve compiled the method into a simple step-by-step instruction so that you may, if you so want, extract the platform from your online account portfolio.
An important distinction to make before embarking on this liberating journey is whether you signed up for Skype with a Microsoft account or not. If you did, then permanently closing your Skype account will also delete the associated Microsoft account. This is obviously inconvenient; your Microsoft account may also serve as the key to the company’s other services, such as Outlook.com, OneDrive, Xbox Live, etc. Unlinking the accounts is therefore a crucial step to perform in order to continue using Microsoft’s other services once Skype has been removed from the lineup.
Follow our guide to permanently deleting Skype, whether you’re undergoing a technology cleanse or simply attempting to avoid your annoying aunt.
How to Delete Your Skype Account
- Sign in to your Skype account at skype.com in a web browser.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the webpage and click Account settings under the My Account heading.
- Click Unlink next to your Microsoft account. Note: If the option says Not linked instead of Unlink, your Skype and Microsoft accounts are not linked, therefore you can go to Step 5.
- Select Continue when prompted with a confirmation notice. There is a maximum number of times you can unlink your accounts. Contact Skype Support if you receive a message stating that you cannot unlink the accounts.
- You must cancel any subscriptions or recurring payments to Skype. Navigate your payments using the blue bar on the left of your web browser, selecting the subscription you wish to cancel and clicking Cancel Subscription, followed by Thanks, but no thanks, I still wish to cancel. Note: If you wish to request a refund for any unused Skype subscriptions, now may be the time to do so. Fill out the online Cancellation and Refund Form or chat with Skype’s customer service agents.
- If you purchased a Skype Number that allows people to call you, you should cancel it before closing your account. In the Manage Features section, select Skype Number, then click Settings and then Cancel Skype Number. Microsoft will reserve your Skype Number for 90 days following the expiration of your Skype Number.
- Go to Account Details, then Billing & Payments, then Disable under the Auto-Recharge tab right next to Status if you use Auto-Recharge to automatically top off your Skype balance when necessary.
- At this point, all Skype subscriptions and recurring payments should have been terminated, allowing you to contact Skype Customer Service and inform them that you wish to close your account.
- Visit the Skype account deletion page. Ensure that you are currently logged into the account you wish to close. Select Next.
- In the Select a reason drop-down list, pick the reason you’re closing the account.
- Mark the account for closure, and you are finished. Although, not quite, as Skype provides a 60-day period to consider whether you truly wish to discontinue use of the video-calling platform. After 60 days, you will no longer have access to your Skype account. If you have a change of heart and want to save your account from the abyss of the internet, all you need to do is sign in again to cancel the closure.
Skype No More
Eliminating a Skype account is simple. With a few clicks or taps, you can quickly eliminate Skype from your life, whether you’ve grown weary of managing the influx of messages from Skype or simply dislike social media.