Some people enjoy receiving an excessive number of Facebook messages, while others find it annoying. If you fall into the latter category, you may be asking if Messenger can be deactivated.
Unfortunately, you must first cancel your entire Facebook account in order to deactivate Messenger. However, there are other options available, such as turning off Messenger.
Here’s how to complete each one.
How to deactivate Messenger by deactivating Facebook
To deactivate your Messenger account by deactivating your Facebook account, follow these steps:
- Open the Facebook app on your device and sign in to your account.
- Tap the three horizontal lines in the bottom right corner of the screen.
- Scroll down and tap “Settings & Privacy.”
- Tap “Account Settings.”
- Tap “General.”
- Tap “Manage Account.”
- Scroll down and tap “Deactivate.”
- Follow the prompts to deactivate your account.
Keep in mind that deactivating your Facebook account will also deactivate your Messenger account, and you will no longer be able to use either service until you reactivate your account. If you only want to deactivate Messenger and not your entire Facebook account, you can do so by going to the “Active Status” section in the Messenger app settings and turning off the “Show when you’re active” toggle. This will prevent other users from seeing when you’re online, but you’ll still be able to use Messenger.
How to disable Messenger
To disable Messenger, you can either deactivate your Facebook account or simply log out of the Messenger app on your device. Here are the steps for each option:
- Deactivate Facebook account:
- Open the Facebook app on your device or go to www.facebook.com in your web browser.
- Click on the Menu icon (usually three horizontal lines) in the top right corner of the screen.
- From the menu, select “Settings & Privacy” and then click on “Settings.”
- Scroll down and click on “Your Facebook Information” in the left menu.
- Click on “Deactivation and Deletion.”
- Click on “Deactivate Account.”
- Follow the prompts to deactivate your account. Please note that deactivating your Facebook account will also disable Messenger.
- Log out of Messenger:
- Open the Messenger app on your device.
- Tap your profile picture in the top left corner of the screen.
- Scroll down and tap “Log Out.”
- Confirm that you want to log out by tapping “Log Out” again.
Either of these options will disable Messenger and you will no longer be able to send or receive messages through the app. If you want to reactivate your Facebook account or log back into Messenger, you can simply follow the steps to log in again
Can I Temporarily Deactivate Messenger?
Yes, you can temporarily deactivate Messenger. Deactivating your Messenger account will not delete your account, but it will hide you from your friends and remove your profile and all your messages. If you want to deactivate your Messenger account, you can do so by following these steps:
- Open the Messenger app on your phone.
- Tap on your profile picture in the top left corner.
- Scroll down and tap on “Legal & Policies”
- Tap on “Deactivate Messenger”
- Follow the on-screen instructions to deactivate your account.
Please note that if you deactivate your Messenger account, you will not be able to send or receive messages, or use any other features of the app. To reactivate your account, you will need to log back in with your Facebook account.