How To Delete Labels In Gmail
Labels in Gmail function much like folders in other email clients, allowing you to sort and file messages. When it comes to email, however, labels have an advantage over folders in that you can apply more than one.
If you receive a large number of emails on a daily basis, using labels is a terrific approach to categorize and sort them.
Yet, despite their usefulness, an excess of labels can become cumbersome to handle. Therefore, if you are interested in learning how to remove labels in Gmail, please read on.
Reasons to Delete Labels in Gmail.
The reasons to delete labels can be as follow:
- There are way too many labels
- You don’t require a label anymore
- You accidentally created a label
- There aren’t any emails associated with the label anymore
How to Delete Labels in Gmail
Only the label itself will be removed when you click the delete button. Those labeled emails will be preserved.
To get rid of unnecessary labels in Gmail, you can use either your desktop or mobile device.
Both of these strategies will be discussed in depth below. If you want to remove a label in Gmail, just use the steps we’ve outlined below.
Delete Labels in Gmail on a Computer
Because there is no desktop client for Gmail, you’ll need to use a web browser to remove labels from Gmail messages on your computer.
Follow these instructions to remove labels from your Gmail account on your computer:
- Log into your Gmail account from a browser
- On the left panel, hover your mouse over the label you want to delete
- Click on three little dots to open a drop-down menu
- On the menu, click on Remove label
- Click on Delete to confirm
If you want to delete multiple labels, here’s how you can do it.
- On the left menu panel, click on More to expand the contents
- Click on Manage labels
- Scroll down to the Labels section
- Corresponding to the label, click on remove to delete that label
- Click on Delete to confirm
Delete Labels in Gmail on a Phone
Don’t fret if you’re unable to use Gmail on your desktop. Additionally, you can delete Gmail labels from your mobile device.
Android and iOS both have their own Gmail apps. Using the app, you can remove labels from Gmail on the iPhone, but this is not possible on the Android version. To access your Gmail account, you must use the web browser on your mobile device.
To remove labels from your Gmail account, follow the instructions below for your particular mobile device.
- Go to gmail.com on your browser.
- Tap on Use the web version
- Sign in to your Gmail account (if not already)
- Click on the Menu icon on the top left corner
- Scroll and tap on Desktop at the very bottom of the page
- Tap on “I’d like to use HTML Gmail” when prompted
This will change the page to the desktop version, where you can edit labels.
- Now on the left side, click on Edit labels
- Tap on the Remove button next to a label to delete it
To delete Gmail labels on your iPhone, follow the steps below:
- Open the Gmail app
- Tap the Hamburger Menu icon on the top left corner
- Tap on settings
- Choose the account you want to delete labels from
- Under the Label section, go to Label settings
- Select the label you want to delete
- Tap on Delete.