Cybersecurity is the process of avoiding unauthorized persons, software or components into cyberspace. It is essential for African businesses that have successfully set up themselves in the digital world. According to a report from a credible source, about 43.5% of African businesses who uses fall into cyber threats every single year and it is very important to monitor them. Cybersecurity is needed to avoid the effect of hackers and hacking devices into the cloud and systems of people and businesses.
Cybersecurity is the process of securing, protecting, recovering and tracking cyber-attacks and it’s effect on cyberspace. Cyber attackers do not get tired of this process and they make sure they track the whole aspect of businesses that are not ready to face them. Even if you have a ready business, you can still fall trap of cyber-attacks once if you are not getting updates about it. This is because the people behind these attacks are conversant about every newly established tech trend which are mostly established by Artificial Intelligence and computing.
The belief that small businesses in Africa cannot be under cyber-attack is wrong because they like South African Telecommunication companies and so many have fallen into the traps of cybersecurity shocking aspect is that this company take their cybersecurity very struct and they don’t even try to joke with it. These same companies are the ones that have the biggest community for software analysts and cyber analysts How on earth did they now fall for cybercrimes? How on earth did they hack this big company? How on earth did they even get into their system? They have gone through series of ways to protect themselves and they still got that kind of problem.
The answer to those questions is just as easy as the question may be. These unauthorized sources and hackers have been trying to get to these points for days even years and they were never successful until that day they were able to attack the business.
Just like it has been experienced by MTN, many cyber-attacks are based on the inability of African businesses to take care of every aspect of their business daily. This makes them get ready for any cyber-attack anytime. If cyber attackers and hackers have been on the look for a very long time, then there should be a repressive and reversible body to help the company get ready for cyber-attacks.
Last year, the server of MTN was hacked and recharge cards and data were distributed to all customers. How did this happen and why shouldn’t this?
Types of cybersecurity issues to be tackled by African business?
Apart from the normal hacking, we are aware of African businesses threats which matter from a sort of incurable elements which cause cyber-attacks. Here is a list of cyber-attacks you can find with new businesses in Africa.
1. Cookie Theft: It is normal, we all go to
the different sites and we are told to accept cookies before taking part in reading or viewing their contents and then our personal information is recorded by Google – this means you have been cooking. Now to the issue of Cookie theft which occurs when a third-party copies unencrypted session data and uses it to impersonate the real users. This doesn’t just happen if you do take precautions with a public wifi network where you access public trusted sites unprotected.
2. Phishing: This is a process required in impersonating important websites, emails and many other and then framing them. Don’t you think you can be framed by these cyber attackers as well?
With phishing disguised email is the weapon in use. It is easy because the trick is for email recipients from a company to fall into the hands of attackers and their security information can be chosen. This kind of email might be an important email from a bank – requesting you to pay for something, a digital payment like Paypal – requesting you to checks a new update, a forum for your business – requesting one of the admins giving out a special gift. The result is that you click login into the site with your information and they can get into your accounts. You might as well be told to download attachments and you will be prone to cyber-attacks.
3. Spamming: This is a very great deal to discuss. What makes this worse is the lack of inadequate security by banks, online shops and many different online resources that many people get into. Spammers are people who use logs and security OTP’s of people just to still their equipment. They reach out to bank account and customers average store is like they are professional bank workers meanwhile they are professional Con men. African companies fall into these and drop their information about this, therefore, causing themselves a big deal of damage in the long run.
Spamming is the use of electronic messaging services to create a mix up through indiscriminate and malicious messaging which might cone with a broken link that will make you fame into a trap of cube attacks and cybercrime.
4. Ransomware attacks: These are attacks from malicious software in cyberspace caused by the installing of Ransomware. It is a very nasty part of malicious software, or malware planned to disallow a user to have access to a computer system or data until a ransom is paid to the owner of the malware. Ransomware spreads through phishing emails, malicious codes, visiting infected websites or exploiting vulnerabilities. It can also spread through hardware like discs, hard drives and so on.
It comes like an email from a customer thank or anyone going reviews about your products and you tend to click the bombarded as they have on the emails. You just fall into the trap of the software immediately. This ran some war operates in such a way that you just get restricted from a file and you just fall trap of it. It is a very dangerous tact because it tends to encrypt all your data immediately It gets into your cyberspace. This Ransomware can even come as a warning that you have a lot of viruses in your cyberspace and then it encrypts all your data immediately you allow it to help you clean it.
Importance of Cybersecurity?
With that being said, the explanation about cybersecurity has been expressive and the main feature to tackle now is the importance of cybersecurity you know helps to manage the effect of cyber-attacks and that is the least you can talk about when there are many benefits to curbing cyber-attacks. Cyber Security is not just anything that can be ignored by industries
1. Low data leaks: If you have to get into something online as a businessman in Africa, it should never be data leaks. Data leaks are the process of dropping important information about a system which later gives the chance to attackers to break into the system. But with the cloud services already created, you are probably safe with your business. Data like passwords, credit card information and bank account details are kept safe.
2. Reductions in Africans turnout rate for cybercrimes: No business gets spared in cybercrime be it big or small, you fall under the same category. They taka e sleepless nights to look for a way to make money out of a possible business setting. So, with the advancement of technology, cybercrimes have now become very tough to tackle but with the likes of GDPRA doing its job, Africa business is good to go behind cybercrimes. This ensures the database of start-up businesses and growing businesses are becoming extremely big.
3. Bridge of security gap: Every single business must be on the lookout for improved security in the cybersecurity space. Creating a program that enlightens and updates both employees and their workers to save themselves from cybercrime. This is to be done because there have been series of reports where a fish bait will be brought near the cat’s house and the cats will just come for it, then dies at the sport. When they become enlightened about what and how they control the cyber and system process, they know where to rest their bits and avoid clicking a piece.
4. No cost for cyber-attacks: If you keep yourself on the lookout for breaches, then you might never be a victim. This means you are saved from the cost of cyber-attacks and cybercrime. You don’t need to start looking for ransom to revive your company or business information.
In conclusion, cybersecurity has been a tough one since it has doubled in 2016 and it is never going downs unless the whole technology goes down. Simple measures you can take to help your business against cyber-attacks are: adding security risk assessment tools that get updates about where you are lagging in your cybersecurity, anti-phishing software that protects against malicious emails, and fraud monitoring tools to look for issues that might arise soon from the companies cyberspace.