As is typical with online service providers, getting Skype to disappear takes some effort. It can be a cumbersome process because of all the accounts you will have linked, including payment methods, your Microsoft account, etc. But don’t be alarmed. You can choose the platform from your online account portfolio if you’d like because we’ve compiled the procedure into an easy to follow step-by-step tutorial.
An essential distinction to establish before starting this liberating journey is whether or not you registered for Skype using a Microsoft account. If you did, canceling your Skype account permanently also deletes the Microsoft account that was linked to it. This is obviously inconvenient, and your Microsoft account may also be your access code for other services offered by the firm, such as Xbox Live, OneDrive, Outlook.com, and others. Therefore, once you’ve eliminated Skype from the list of options, it’s crucial to unlink the accounts to make sure you can still take advantage of Microsoft’s other services.
Follow our advice to permanently delete Skype, whether you’re doing a digital detox or simply trying to avoid your needy aunt more often.
How to Delete Your Skype Account
- Sign in to your Skype account at skype.com in a web browser.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the webpage and click Account settings under the My Account heading.
- Next to your Microsoft account, click Unlink. NB: if the option reads Not linked rather than Unlink, your Skype and Microsoft accounts are not linked, so you can skip ahead to Step 5.
- When a confirmation message appears, click Continue. The number of times you can unlink your accounts is restricted. if you get a message saying you can’t separate the two accounts.
- Any recurring payments or subscriptions to Skype must be cancelled. Use the blue bar on the left of your web browser to navigate your payments. Simply click Cancel Subscription after selecting the subscription you want to end, followed by Thanks, but no thanks, I still want to cancel. Note: If you want to ask for a refund for any Skype subscriptions you haven’t used, this may be the perfect time to do so. Either complete the online Cancellation and Refund form or engage the Skype support team in live chat.
- Before terminating your account, it is good to cancel your Skype Number if you have one that people could call to reach you. In the Manage Features area, choose Skype Number. Then click Settings, and finally choose Cancel Skype Number. Microsoft will reserve your Skype Number for 90 days until the date it expires, after which it will no longer be used.
- If you use Auto-Recharge to automatically top up your Skype balance when needed, go to Account Details, then Billing & Payments, then Disable under the Auto-Recharge tab right next to Status.
- By now, all Skype subscriptions should be cancelled and all recurring payments removed, freeing you up to contact Skype Customer Service and inform them that you’d like to close your account.
- Go to Skype’s account closure page. Ensure you’re logged in with the account you want to close. Click Next.
- In the Select a reason drop-down list, pick the reason you’re closing the account.
- Once you choose to close the account, you’re done. However, not quite, as Skype allows you a 60-day reflection period to consider whether you really want to stop using the video calling service permanently. You will permanently lose access to your Skype account after those 60 days have passed. All you have to do to reverse the closure and save your account from the internet abyss if you change your mind is sign back in.
Skype No More
Deleting a Skype account is easy. Whether you’re tired of managing the influx of messages from Skype or just don’t care for social media, Skype can quickly be a thing of the past for you with a few clicks or taps.