Explained in this article are untapped skills for work from home workers. This skills are necessary the ever growing work from home jobs that are now common due to covid 19.
A survey shows that over 90% of job seekers want to work from home I.e. they want to be remote workers. Work from home workers or remote workers are people who is employed by a company or organization but not working inside the organization or company meaning that the person is working from either from home or coworking space. Examples of some remote jobs are graphic designer, tutor, traveling agents, freelance writer, accountant, freelance translator, digital marketer, operation marketer, and many more. it’s no more news that the opportunity of being a remote worker continues to prosper in many industries and companies. However, as the opportunity to be a remote worker is increasing, many of those people saying I want to be a remote worker are not prepared for the challenges they might come across as a remote worker while working from home. Also, they didn’t know the skills required or needed as a remote worker to perform the job duties diligently. As a remote worker, there are several skills you have to possess as a remote worker which many didn’t know and they are:
Important Skills for Work From Home Workers
- A remote worker must be able to work independently: Working independently is one of the important skills for work from home workers. A remote worker that was employed by an employee is expected to carry out his or her job within a speculated period without hesitation and this will be done all alone because working remotely can be somehow lonely sometimes. But for someone who is working with his or her colleague can still communicate and ask for help from other colleagues, and can easily go to the office of his or her employee to ask for help which is not the case when working remotely. Therefore as a remote worker, you must be able to solve problems on your own and be skillful.
- A remote worker must have self-motivation: Self motivation is one the major skills for work from home workers. Since your employer or boss or manager will not be there physically to check on you whether you are doing the job right or not, then, you have to be self-motivated so that you can do your work within the given duration. You will have to limit distraction by creating schedules and plans for yourself. At no cost should you allow anybody to disturb you while you are coming or else you might end up not doing the job well or not finishing it on time and this will make your employee not to employ you again. It might even spoil your image because your employer will keep telling others that need your service that you are not serious with work.
- A remote worker must have strong writing skills: Because it is through the internet that you will be able to connect with your boss, you have to be very fluent in whatever language you are using. In remote working, e-mail and other messaging tools are used for communications and are becoming increasingly popular in remote work. If you’re are not able to communicate well, your employer will be confused and might not hire you anymore. Lack of strong writing skills can also cause a misunderstanding between you and your boss and as a result, there won’t be a smooth relationship between you and your employer. Therefore, a remote writer must be able to write clearly and in a way that your boss will quickly understand whether it is through e-mail, online messaging, or any other form.
- A remote worker must be able to use digital tools: Working remotely requires you to be able to use online and digital tools because your boss can not come to you physically when he or she wants to meet you or require a meeting with you, he or she will video conferencing or online messaging and if you don’t know to operate that software used, you might end up getting sacked or not getting the job anymore. Also, there might be some work that requires the use of higher online or digital tools and devices and if you don’t know how those things work, there is no way you will be able to do the job, thereby making you lose more clients.
- A remote worker must have reliable and secure equipment: Many employers don’t provide the equipment and tools needed to do the job, it is the person working from home that will get that equipment and make sure the job is done, theirs is just to get the result of the job given to you. May remote workers used computers and probably their mobile phones but some employees must give you a work that requires you to buy new equipment like headsets, PC and software. And because your works will be mostly online, you will need to get secure wifi access and data connection, if you have to work outside your home, you must password your hotspot.
- A remote worker has emotional intelligence: In a remote working whereby job is online and you won’t have access to speak to your colleague verbally, then, you need to have high emotional intelligence which will help you respond appropriately and help you resolve conflicts, solve problems and also help you to listen truly to your boss.
- Team player mindset: Working as a remote worker doesn’t mean you can’t have colleagues, but they are not physical. This skill will help you do your work on time, be accountable to other team members, and keep them informed. The advantage of this skill is that when you are working diligently and trying to be the best among your colleague, your boss might promote you to a higher level if he sees that you have teamwork. Therefore you might have the chance of working with great people around the world and showing them how skill full you are.
If a remote worker possesses all these skills, then he or she is good to go but if he or she doesn’t have any, the person needs to develop them and put them into practice. A remote job is a very lucrative one now that we are in the era of online business. People don’t engage in physical trading anymore.